Here are 25 simple everyday activities to help children learn while having fun.
1. Read together.
2. Start a nature collection. Collect rocks, shells, feathers or leaves.
3. Look up YouTube videos of animals. What sounds do they make?
4. Play with play-dough. Great for practicing fine motor skills and creativity.
5. Visit a farm.
7. Place a bird feeder on your window or in your yard. Draw the birds who come to visit.
8. Play with Lego. Create patterns or shapes. Spell words. Order the blocks by size.
9. Learn an instrument.
10. Do a puzzle.
12. Grow a plant together. Use an eggshell or toilet paper rolls for starter seeds. Grow herbs in tin can pots.
13. Go on a nature scavenger hunt.
14. Bake together. Children practice their reading and math skills, learn about good nutrition and practice co-ordination skills.
15. Visit a science museum.
17. Make paper dolls.
18. Play bean bag toss to develop your child’s gross motor skills.
19. Create a diorama (in a shoebox) using a scene from your child’s favourite book.
20. Visit a zoo.
21. Play Simon Says. This will help with listening and following through on verbal directions.
22. Show them a map. Talk about where family and friends live. Talk about where your food is from.
23. Play sorting games. Use jars, plates with dividers or boxes. Sort colours using paint chips. Sort buttons to practice sizes and shapes. Use craft punches to create shapes and sort by type (butterfly, star or apple).
24. Play with magnetic letters.
25. Visit a country fair. A wonderful multi-sensory experience.