I love white vinegar. It is a wonderful, inexpensive product with a myriad of uses.
Here are 10 great uses for vinegar around the home.
1. Clean your coffeemaker. Fill the reservoir with equal parts white vinegar and water and run the machine through a cycle. Rinse thoroughly two to three times with water before using again.
2. Descale your kettle. Click here to see my post for instructions.
3. Prolong the life of flowers. Add a splash of vinegar (approximately two tablespoons) and one teaspoon of sugar in a vase of water to keep your flowers fresh.
4. Deodorize a room. Place a small bowl about three quarters full of vinegar in the room and it will remove any smells.
5. Use as fabric softener. Add it to the rinse cycle when the water is filling up or the fabric softener compartment of a front loading machine.
6. Refresh your refrigerator. Make a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water and wipe down the shelves and walls.
7. Clean your drains. Pour about 1/2 cup of baking soda into the drain. Follow with 1 cup of white vinegar. Let it sit and fizz for 10 minutes, then pour down a kettleful of boiling water.
8. Steam clean your microwave. Pour equal parts white vinegar and water into a microwave safe bowl (approximately 1/2 cup each). Heat to a boil (approximately 3 – 4 minutes) and let it sit for a few minutes. Remove the bowl (using oven gloves) and wipe the microwave clean.
9. Make glassware sparkle. Soak paper towels with white vinegar and wrap around the glass for a minute and then wipe away any water spots.
10. Clean your windows. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use. If you have streaks from the wax residue from commerical cleaners, use a mixture of 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon liquid dish detergent.