1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger (more or less depending on preference)
1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or 1 inch pieces
2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with enough water to make the cornstarch dissolve
1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1. Put the water, brown sugar, white sugar, white vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder and ginger into a measuring jug and whisk together until combined.
2. Add about 1 – 2 tbsp oil to a pan and once heated, cook the chicken pieces over a medium heat for a few minutes.
3. Add the sauce (from the jug). Gently stir together.
4. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir in.
5. Add the vegetables and stir.
5. Cook for approximately 15 – 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
6. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings as needed (add more sugar or vinegar).
6. Serve over rice.
You can add pineapple chunks, yellow pepper, yellow onion, green onions (scallions) or whatever combination of vegetables that your family enjoys.