Makes about 10 pies
Puff pastry (from scratch or from frozen, thawed)
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded and cooled (approx. 1 – 2 chicken breasts)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and diced into approx. 1/4″ squares
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup grated cheese (parmesan / cheddar / or your favourite cheese)
1 egg for egg wash
1. Melt the butter in a pan and add the onion, celery, carrot, potato and peas.
2. Cook over medium heat for 4 – 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute.
4. Add the chicken broth and stir for a few minutes until thickened.
5. Add in the chicken and cheese and stir. Allow to cool.
6. Preheat the oven to 375F.
7. Grease a baking sheet or line with a non-stick baking liner.
8. Roll out the pastry dough to approx. 1/8″ thick and cut into 5″ circles. Gather the dough scraps and re-roll.
9. Transfer the circles onto your baking sheet.
10. Place 1/3 cup of filling in the centre of each pastry circle.
11. Wet the edges of the pastry circles with water.
12. Fold the dough over to form a half circle.
13. Pinch the edges of the dough together and crimp with a fork.
14. Prick the top of each pie with a fork.
15. Beat the egg with 1 tbsp of water.
16. Brush the egg wash over the top of each pie.
17. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the pies are golden brown.
18. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.