This easy gingerbread recipe will make your home smell wonderful as it bakes!
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water (in a larger measuring cup)
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a 13″ x 9″ pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening.
4. Stir in the molasses.
5. Add the baking soda to the boiling water and stir.
6. In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, spices and salt.
7. Add the flour mixture in two or three additions to the molasses mixture and stir well.
8. Add the water mixture and stir well to combine.
9. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
10. Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar to serve.