Do your children enjoy helping you bake and cook? Miss C loves helping in the kitchen. When she hears me pulling pots out of the cabinets, she runs into the kitchen to ask what she can do to help. Miss S is a little less enthusiastic, but is a willing helper with certain tasks.
It will take you longer to prepare food and there will be more of a mess in the kitchen than usual, but having your children learn this important life skill is well worth it.
Here are some of the things my girls enjoy doing in the kitchen:
- Placing pepperoni or mushrooms on pizza
- Pushing buttons on the blender or mixer
- Helping me to hold the mixer while I use it
- Kneading dough
- Rolling out cookie dough
- Cracking eggs
- Pouring pre-measured ingredients into the bowl
- Tearing lettuce
- Chopping mushrooms (Miss S)
- Decorating cookies – helping squeeze the icing out of the bag and decorating with sprinkles/candy
- Helping to find the ingredients in the pantry
- Using the pepper grinder
- Grating cheese (Miss S)
- Greasing pans (“painting” with the pastry brush)
- Helping use the can opener
- Helping stir at the stove (with close supervision)
- Setting the table (laying out cutlery and napkins)
- Washing up (I run lukewarm water and let Miss C clean all the measuring cups and spoons. She loves all the bubbles)
Do you have any other ideas of how children can help in the kitchen?
What do your own children enjoy?