This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
Over the last few years I have been trying to live a more natural lifestyle and help my family become healthier. It has been a journey, we’re not all the way there yet and I’m nowhere near perfect at it, but we continue to move forward in the right direction.
Here are three small steps you can start taking to create a more natural lifestyle.
1. Replace chemical cleaners with natural cleaners
I knew that chemical cleaners are dangerous to the environment and our health (with effects such as headaches, breathing difficulties, skin rashes and long-term effects such as contributing to cancer and causing hormone disruption) and wanted to remove as many as I could from my home. When I first started trying to live a more natural lifestyle, I made my own cleaners. As I have used them, I have not enjoyed the smell of vinegar and have noticed that it is has been eroding the finish on my sink stopper. I also do not let my girls clean with vinegar, in case it accidentally goes in their eyes.
I came across Shaklee’s cleaning line, Get Clean, on a blog and started reading about the blogger’s health transformation and her switch to natural cleaners. I decided to try these products and they work really well. I plan on using them for a long time to come. My girls now love to help me clean and I am comfortable allowing them to help me as these cleaners are completely natural and non-toxic.
2. Increase Your Real Food Consumption
Instead of making drastic changes, like throwing away all your boxed foods and then being overwhelmed, start slowly. Making a few simple changes each month will make it easy for you to keep moving forward on your healthier living journey.
Some suggestions are to add an extra serving of vegetables at dinner, make a protein shake or smoothie for a snack or add a salad as a side dish a few times a week.
Choose a few favourite food items and make them from scratch. Salad dressing, pancakes and pizza dough are easy to do and ones that children can help with.
During the summer, visit a farmer’s market and buy fresh, local fruits and vegetables or even plant a herb garden and add some delicious flavour to your homemade meals.
3. Add Fitness Into Your Daily Life
Adding fitness into your daily life does not mean you have to spend an hour at the gym every day (unless you want to!).
Here are some ideas to add in exercise to your day:
- Park further away from the store or if it is a local errand and a nice day, take your time and enjoy a walk.
- Ride bikes with your children to the local park.
- Stretch and add some simple exercises when you are cooking in the kitchen. Instead of bending over when you take a pan out of the cupboard, do a squat instead or practice your push-ups on the counter.
- Play outside with your children and show them how to use a skipping rope or a hula-hoop.
- Set up a soccer game with your friends at your local park or play frisbee.
- Have a dance party after dinner.
- When you are watching your favourite t.v. show, do as many push-ups or jumping jacks as you can or lift weights during the advertisements.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Wash your own vehicle.
- Clean your home. Washing windows, scrubbing the bath and mopping floors will help you burn calories.
Small steps can lead to a lifestyle change over a few years. Go at your own pace and enjoy the journey!
What steps do you take to live a more natural lifestyle?